Thursday, October 5, 2017

New Trove Of Previously Unreleased Jimmy Buffet Music Found And Made Into Upcoming Release

Artist: Jimmy Buffet
Album: Buried Treasure: Volume 1
Label: Mailboat Records
Release date: November 17, 2017

For a self-proclaimed pirate, it seems only fitting that Jimmy Buffet literally had some buried treasure. When legendary Nashville producer Buzz Cason sold his recording studio to John and Martina McBride, there was some cleaning up to do. That is when Jimmy learned that they had found a sizeable collection of ¼-inch tapes that were the demos of songs Jimmy had written and recorded for Buzz when he was writing for his publishing company. It turned out that there were over 125 songs in that pile of tape boxes. Also discovered were the original first recordings Buffet had recorded in Mobile, and that is where the whole story of Buried Treasure starts.

The Buried Treasure project includes at least 20 original songs and some cover material Buffett recorded in Nashville between 1969 and 1973 with original producer Travis Turk. “Two years ago they were going to sell the studio we were working at and owners said go through this and see if there’s anything you can use. He found 74 original songs I forgot I had written,” Buffett says. “It’s really, right back to the beginning stuff. … I’m going back and listening to myself during these times and it’s sparking stories. I don’t remember writing a lot of these songs but once I hear them stuff starts coming back. So I’m doing a narration through this material that we found. I’m going to do that as a project. They were tape recordings they were about to throw out. Some is cover stuff, but the original stuff there’s probably about 20 songs that I had forgotten I had written. … It’s something people might want to add to their collection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment