Bonafide country outlaw Waylon Jennings has left us with more music than we probably deserve, even after his untimely death. According to Record Store Day, Jennings was working on a collection of new material to be recorded for a prospective new album in the late 90’s. Before that album could be recognized, Jennings passed away, and while going through his fathers things, Shooter Jennings recovered a cassette tape labeled “New Stuff.”
A collection of new songs performed by Waylon and his guitar was what played from that tape. Shooter restored the tape and the outcome was a zealous collection of songs. New Stuff is a part of the special 2017 Black Friday edition of Record Store Day. The album will be on a limited colored 12” vinyl from label Black Country Rock. Waylon Jennings’ last recorded album was Goin’ Down Rockin’.
Other projects worth noting coming out on that day include:
- Eric Church - Mistress Named Music - 7" vinyl with two live tracks
- Willie Nelson - Spirit - LP - Originally released in 1996, Spirit is issued here for the first time on colored vinyl as a special Record Store Day Black Friday release. It comes newly remastered with a deluxe, gatefold, 'tip-on' uncoated jacket, this is a chance to own this unique album in its most beautifully presented form.
- Willie Nelson - Yesterday's Wine - LP- 1973's Yesterday's Wine has been long out of print on vinyl and is coming to record stores as part of the Friday Music 180g Audiophile Vinyl Series on burgundy vinyl, in a gatefold sleeve and with a poster depicting the cover art included.
- Gram Parsons - Live 1973 Featuring Emmylou Harris - LP - Live album by Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels was recorded at Sonic Studios in Hempstead, New York during a live radio broadcast from WLIR-FM.
- Chet Atkins - Guitar Blues - LP - Originally released on 78 in 1946 on Nashville's Bullet Records, this is the first ever vinyl reissue of Chet's very first release! Packaged in an envelope style picture sleeve with liner notes by Chet historian Pat Kirtley. Limited edition blue vinyl.
- Lou Reed and Kris Kristofferson - The Bottom Line Archive Series: In Their Own Words - LP - An exclusive, limited 1000 quantity picture disc LP of select' tracks from Lou Reed and Kris Kristofferson's 'In Their Own words with Vin Scelsa' set from 1994 at the famed Bottom Line in NYC.
- Gentle Giant: The Songs of Don Williams - Tribute LP - Williams' longtime producer and friend Garth Fundis have produced a tribute album, Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams, featuring an all-star lineup of artists. Some of the artists on Gentle Giant include Jason Isbell, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley, Alison Krauss, John Prime and Garth Brooks. The 11-track album is being released on Slate Creek Records exclusively for RSD Black Friday 2017.